Iowa Veterinary Medical Association Foundation
The purpose for which the Foundation is organized is to receive gifts and property to be used for the advancement of veterinary medicine and the promotion of veterinary medical research and education. The Foundation shall hold, administer and dispose of gifts and property thereof, and any and all things necessary or incident to the accomplishment of the foregoing purposes, provided, however, that none of the funds, property or income of the corporation shall be used in attempting to influence legislation by the carrying on of propaganda or otherwise or for the benefit of any private member of the corporation or individual.
To accomplish the foregoing object or purpose, this Foundation shall have the right to act as Trustee of any funds or property that it may receive under specific or limited grants or agreements or that it may receive by testamentary disposition and shall have the right to hold and manage the same under the terms and conditions imposed by any such bequest not inconsistent with the objects herein above expressed.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, however, the Foundation is organized exclusively for charitable, educational, and scientific purposes, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (or corresponding section of any future federal tax code).
Possible Future Projects:
- To support innovative research and education projects with direct application to recruitment and retention of quality students into veterinary medicine.
- To advance veterinary medicine by supporting projects that raise veterinarian's awareness of current issues in the practice of veterinary medicine
- To educate the public about veterinary medicine and teach animal owner responsibility
- To ensure the success of developing leaders for our profession by providing student scholarships.
- To offer emergency scholarships to veterinary medical students in special circumstances
To contribute to the IVMA Foundation, please contact the IVMA office at 800/369-9564 or click on the link located on the upper right side of this page.
Iowa Veterinary Medical Association Foundation Minutes
- Increase number and amount of scholarships
- Establish a strategic fund to help veterinarians who experience catastrophic loss due to disasters and emergencies
- Establish an IVMA Foundation lecture series
- Establish an IVMA Foundation professorship at Iowa State University
Annual Corporation Meeting
Gateway Conference Center, Ames and Via Zoom Video Conferencing
Thursday, September 10, 2020
The IVMA Foundation Annual Corporation meeting was called to order by President Dr. Rachel Friedrich at 4:13 pm. Present for the meeting were Vice President Dr. Paul Murrell, Secretary/Treasurer Dr. Jennifer Hosch, Board member Dr. Dave Larson, and corporation members Drs. Anderson, Beyer, Bye, Collison, Fuller, Holland, Katzer, Kolbet, Larson, Loomis, Nicholson, Rees, Royer, Rychnovsky, Slattery, Steffen, Thies, Van Roekel, Vosburg, Williams, Simonsen, Ackman, Fales-Williams, Berger, Bright and IVMA Executive Director Randy Wheeler. Unable to attend were Dr. Jessie Juarez and Ex officio Dr. Jared Danielson.
Dr. Friedrich reviewed the Foundation Board members and their terms of office:
- President – Dr. Rachel Friedrich..................................... September 2020
- Vice President - Dr. Paul Murrell……….…………………September 2021
- Secretary/Treasurer - Dr. Jennifer Hosch....................... September 2022
- Dr. Jessie Juarez – BOD member.................................. September 2023 - resigned
- Dr. David Larson – BOD member ………………………. September 2024
- Ex officio – Jared Danielson PhD (CVM)
Nomination for new Board members was called for from the floor. Dr. Abbey Smith had offered her nomination to join the Foundation Board. A motion was made to approve Dr. Smith, the motion was seconded and passed. Dr. Abbey Smith will be a Foundation Board member with her term ending 2025.
With Dr. Juarez’s resignation from the BOD, Dr. Friedrich nominated Dr. Megan Hindman. Dr. Wheeler will contact Dr. Hindman to see if she will accept the nomination to replace Dr. Juarez.
A motion was made to approve the consent agenda, the motion was seconded and passed:
- Minutes 012420 BOD Mtg.
- Minutes 051420 & 063020 Sports & Field Day Mtg.
The Board reviewed the Foundation financials. A motion to approve was made, seconded and passed.
2020 Scholarships Report:
- $62,500 in Foundation Scholarships
Dr. Friedrich reviewed the current number of Foundation Fellows and the differentiation of the 3 support levels.
IVMA Foundation Sports & Field Day brief recap. Despite the current pandemic there were 58 golfers and 6 shooters. The financials show a net profit of $14,629.53. This is a substantial increase from 2019’s $7,709.18. The post-event S & F Day Committee meeting is scheduled for October 13th
The meeting adjourned at 4:27 pm.