Dog Bite Prevention
Here are some simple tips from the AVMA that could help prevent a dog bite:
· Don’t run past a dog. Dogs naturally love to chase and catch things.
· Never disturb a dog that is caring for puppies, sleeping or eating.
· If a dog approaches to sniff you, stay still. In most cases, the dog will go away when it determines you are not a threat.
· If you are threatened by a dog, remain calm. Don’t scream or yell. If you say anything, speak calmly and firmly. Avoid eye contact. Try to stay still until the dog leaves, or back away slowly until the dog is out of sight. Don’t turn and run.
· If you fall or are knocked to the ground, curl into a ball with your hands over your head and neck. Protect your face.
For more information dog bite prevention, visit the AVMA at https://www.avma.org/public/Pages/Dog-Bite-Prevention.aspx.