Member Benefits Task Force Minutes
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Via Conference Call
The Member Benefits Task Force met via conference call on Wednesday, August 15, 2007. The meeting was called to order at 8:10 AM. Present were Drs. Chuck Peddicord, David Larson, Kristin Young and Tom Johnson. Absent was Dr. Susan Walters.
The committee established criteria to evaluate potential member benefits.
1. Access for our members to products or services that are not available to them individually.
2. Lower rates/costs for our members for products or services than if they were purchased individually.
3. Products/services that are at least the same cost (or less) as if purchased individually but there is non-dues income for the Association.
4. The Association feels a product is so valuable to our members that we should make it available to our members.
1. Member Service Group for credit card processing. MSG rebates to the Association a percent of all transactions of our members who use MSG as their credit card processor. Last year’s income from MSG was approximately $4,200.
2. Diversified Services – a collection agency. The Association receives a percentage of fees collected for our members. Last year’s income from Diversified was approximately $360.
3. IADA – Iowa Automobile Dealers Association. They provide long distance telephone service and return to the Association a percent of the total billings from our members. Last year’s income from IADA was approximately $300.
4. Federal Check Recovery – a bad check recovery service that provides a percent of collections to the Association. Last year’s income from FCR was approximately $1,100.
The committee discussed the following potential programs:
- Federal Check Recovery – check guarantee. There may be limited need for this service and the potential cost of 1.75% may be high. The committee decided to offer this service to our members and let them decide if they want to take advantage of it.
- Socious – software to build blogs/chat rooms, etc. IVMA members are not likely to use this service and it was decided not to pursue this opportunity.
- Iowa Student Loan – targeted mailing lists. Dr. Lemme will do more research on this potential benefit and the committee will discuss at a later date.
- Principal Insurance – Disability insurance. Offering insurance may not be part of the IVMA mission unless it is available only through an association.
- Fidelity Info Corp – online collection agency. Does that void our agreement with Diversified? Dr. Johnson will check with other associations to see what their experience has been with this company.
- Credit Bureau of Iowa – collection agency. Want to consider change in endorsed collection agency. Dr. Johnson will ask Credit Bureau of Iowa and Diversified for proposals and re-evaluate with the committee.
- American Insurance marketing – long term care. Consensus is avoid insurance offerings unless special circumstances
- Identity theft and prepaid legal. Avoid prepaid legal. We will get a speaker for Winter Meeting to discuss identity theft and ask that speaker for recommendations on an identity theft company.
- Practice analysis and support – Hospital managers association and Ontario VMA. Dr. Johnson will explore for more detailed information and develop a marketing plan should we decide to offer this benefit.
- Vet store – Vetecentric. Dr. Larson worked with this company and now works with AAHA Marketlink and PVP. Explore how IVMA could partner with PVP as VAP sponsor.
- Other insurance – see above
- IVMA credit card – not large enough
The committee discussed a survey of our members to determine if they are interested in debt consolidation and/or practice analysis programs
The meeting adjourned at 9:00 a.m.
- Dr. Peddicord will get more info on Iowa Student Loan
- Dr. Johnson will:
- Get an identity theft speaker for Winter Conference
- Check with other associations about Fidelity Info Corp
- Request information from Federal Check Recovery to move forward with that benefit
- Request proposals from Credit Bureau of Iowa and Diversified services
- Talk with PVP about their online pharmacy program
- Gather more information about the practice analysis and support